Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I am not an investor . . .

but I am interested in the subject because my partner T. is. So I read with interest J.D.'s post at http://www.getrichslowly.org/ today when he mentioned a site called Transparent Investing the brainchild a San Francisco based financial planning group called Iperio Group LLC. A quick overview of the site revealed a simple but articulate 10 step approach to designing your own investing strategy. I especially liked the calculators and links to sites. Also, several of the steps were accompanied by video presentations which was excellent for my wife who is much more of a visual learner than a reader.

Meanwhile, at http://www.alternet.com/ one of the day's lead articles was about America's apparent addiction to credit. At first, as I read the headline and opening sentences, I thought no it's not an addiction. But then I thought back to the Christmas before last when I was in the midst of a cash crunch and how I justified using my card by comparing myself to the country's trillions of debt. Hell, I thought, why should I worry about a $1000.00 when the whole country is pushing 8 trillion? Sounds a lot like the justification a drinker might make just before that fatal car crash, right? Unfortunately, in the article, John Ince, fails to fulfill the promise of the headline. Yes, he does provide several examples of over indulgence in the use of credit that could be very useful in arguing that such behavior is out of control. But no he does not stay with the argument long enough to prove satisfactorily that the reason for the behavior is that it is addictive. Instead he goes off on the tangent provided by the examples and discusses what will happen as we continue on this course of irresponsibility. Too bad, I liked the premise. But I might argue that we are really addicted to the things that the use of credit brings us. Credit in this case is the enabler that when abused becomes the destroyer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone, sorry I've been away for so long. Just a lot of good news on my side. I want to share here some good news of how to get a positive loan lender to finance my business, please pass this along and share! I got a loan approval from Mr Pedro Jerome so I am very excited and it is one step closer to a good future. I hope everyone is doing well. I am on a good track to my business needs on my side. It just keeps getting higher and higher. Hopefully soon I can get back on track with the help of Pedro Jerome a loan officer,
If anyone here looking for a loan please contact Mr Pedro Jerome on pedroloanss@gmail.com also on whatsapp conversation +1 863 231 0632
I wish you all success.....